Resilient Retreat invites artists to submit artwork for a competition.
In celebration of the Grand Opening of Resilient Retreat, a new non-profit that serves survivors of abuse and helping professionals, we invite you to be a part of our history.
Your artwork can help trauma survivors heal.
Generously Sponsored By
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Resilient Retreat’s Art Competition is open to artists of all ages that wish to donate pieces of hung art focused on resilience, hope, and strength after adversity.
What are the Requirements?
1. Resilient Retreat’s Art Competition includes all hung artwork focused on resilience, hope, and strength (e.g., photography, mixed medium, paint). Entries must be submitted in person for judging by September 1 to 13010 Fruitville Road, Sarasota, FL 34240.
2. There is no entry fee to submit your artwork for consideration.
3. No entries may depict copyrighted images, characters, logos, unless the copyright is owned by the artist.
4. All artwork must be: 1. Framed with a simple contemporary frame (metallic or light wood) or 2. Gallery wrapped no less than 1.5 inches with finished edges. Entries must be wired and ready to hang.
5. It is preferable that artwork fit within one of the following dimensions:
- 48″ W x 48″ H
- 48″ W x 30-36″ H
- 48″ W x 60″ H
- 36″ W x 48″ H
- 36″ W x 36″ H
- To fit within 9’4″ W x 36″
Other sizes may be submitted, but will not have first preference.
6. Artwork that depicts violence, nudity, or sexual content will not be accepted.
7. Resilient Retreat must receive all artwork for judging by September 1, 2022. Artists are responsible for getting the artwork to Resilient Retreat for judging (13010 Fruitville Road, Sarasota, FL 34240). Artwork will not be judged if not provided according to specifications and delivered to Resilient Retreat by September 1, 2022.
Where will the Artwork be Displayed?
Resilient Retreat is a non-profit that provides no cost evidence-based services that address the impact of trauma on the mind, body, and spirit (e.g., art/music therapy, equine therapy, neurofeedback, yoga, experiences in nature, support groups, and much more). Our new Retreat Center is located on 84 acres of conservation land in Sarasota and is scheduled for our grand opening on November 3, 2022.
If selected, your artwork would be displayed in our newly constructed buildings in spaces including the living room, kitchen, and treatment rooms. Our buildings are inspired by the Danish concept of hygge, reflecting coziness and self-care. To see renderings of our spaces, click here.
Do you want to see our space and get inspiration for your artwork? Come for a visit on our Artist Inspiration Day on July 30, 2022 at 10 am at our Retreat Center (13010 Fruitville Road, Sarasota). You can RSVP here.
When is the Competition?
Artist Inspiration Day: July 30, 2022 10 am
Artwork Delivery and Intake: August 31st- 9 am- 1 pm
or September 1st– 1 pm – 5pm
Winners Announced: October 1, 2022 (DELAYED DUE TO HURRICANE IAN: OCTOBER 7, 2022)
Pick-up for Non-Selected Pieces: October 11, 2022- 8 am- 12 pm
or October 15, 2022- 9 am-12 pm
Artwork Displayed for Grand Opening: October 18 and November 3, 2022
Why Should I Participate?
Artwork from this competition will be used to provide creative spaces for hope and healing for trauma survivors. Your work could inspire and transform lives in our community!
A maximum of 15 pieces will be selected. In addition to having your name and artwork displayed at Resilient Retreat and your artwork publicized for our Grand Opening Media Events, we are also awarding 2 honorariums:
- 1st Place: $1,500 cash (Sponsored by Halo Arts Project)
- 2nd Place: 2 VIP tickets to Resilient Rhapsody Concert, including 1 Night Stay at the Retreat Center on April 16, 2023
Selected artwork will be donated to Resilient Retreat. As such, Resilient Retreat will issue you a gift in-kind acknowledgement letter for your tax records.
How will the Competition be Judged?
All artwork submitted meeting specifications will be judged by Resilient Retreat’s Arts Committee. The Art Committee will be looking for the following criteria:
- Connection to focus on resilience, hope, and strength after adversity
- Meaning and purpose provided in description
- Flow with architecture and design (hygge)
Winning artists will be notified via phone or email on October 1, 2022 (DELAYED DUE TO HURRICANE IAN: OCTOBER 7, 2022).
All selected artists (up to 15) will be included in our Grand Opening Media Events.
Your entry into this competition constitutes permission for Resilient Retreat to photograph or reproduce any and all works for the purposes of advertising, publicity, and/or archival records, without compensation to the artists.
APPLICATION IS NOW CLOSED.
THANK YOU TO THE ARTISTS THAT SUBMITTED THEIR ARTWORK!